Most people don’t really appreciate the importance of having a gas can around until they run out of gas and are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no help in sight. Luckily for you, this never has to happen to you if you choose the best gas can from among the many that we’ve rated and reviewed here.
If you’re in the habit of taking long trips, it’s obviously a good idea to have an additional can of gas to keep you moving in times of emergency. However, it’s still a great idea to get a gas can even if you rarely ever take long drives so you’re always prepared in case you do.
So, now that you know what a critical role your gas can play, it’s time to take a look at the gas cans that we’ve assembled for you so you can choose the best one to meet your requirements.[toc]
10 Best Gas Can: Editor’s Top Picks
Top 13 Best Gas Can Reviews:
1. No-Spill 1405 2.5-Gallon Poly Gas Can
- Brand: No-Spill
- Capacity: 2 ½ gallon
The majority of spills happen when trying to tip a normal gas can to insert the gas can spout into the fuel tank before the fuel comes out, or when taking the spout out from the opening before the tank starts to overflow. This can have a no-spill spout that makes it easy to pour gas into even the smallest openings.
The spout is fully controlled by the user, which means you can tip the can vertically, insert the spout in the tank’s opening, and then press a button to start pouring. You have control over when to stop pouring, and all you have to do when your tank is full is to stop pressing the button.
Once you release the button, the fuel stops flowing, which means you can say goodbye to messy overflows and dangerous spills. This is the only spill-proof spout that has a thumb button control that doesn’t push down on the filler neck of the tank in order to pour.
This gas can give you fewer tip-overs and a whole lot more control over how you pour gasoline into tanks.
In fact, it’s the fastest pouring spill-proof nozzle that you’ll find on the market right now, and that’s why we put it first on our list as the best gas can spout solution available today.
You can also get an optional 6-inch spout extension which allows you to fill boats, on-road vehicles, and various other tank openings that are hard to reach.
- The spout comes with a dust cover attached to keep it clean
- 20-mesh stainless steel screen included
- 7/8” funnel spout can fill even tiny equipment
- Convenient thumb control offers precise pouring
- No-spill pouring mechanism
2. DuraMax Flo-n’-Go 14-Gallon Gas Can
- Brand: Scepter Marine
- Capacity: 14 gallon
- Material: Heavy-duty Polyethylene
- Hose Length: 10 ft. hose
- Dimensions: 16.2” ×7” × 33.8”
- MaxFlo Siphon Pump
- Caster wheels
- Auto shut-off/auto restart
This durable 14-gallon gas can from DuraMax comes with a fuel transfer pump from the same manufacturer. The red portable wheeled gas container has a super solid heavy wall and two 6-inch high-impact resin wheels that are sturdy and guaranteed to keep performing as long as the tank is working.
It doesn’t matter what kind of terrain you take this tank on, it’s designed to handle it with ease.
So whether you’re fueling a watercraft, generator, professional landscaping tools, or camping and hunting needs, this is undoubtedly one of the According to the best gas can review, you cannot do better than the DuraMax Flo-‘n-Go. With this product, refueling will be a breeze.
Made with high-density, durable polyethylene plastic, this container will safely hold your gasoline, kerosene, or diesel while making it easy for you to cart it from one place to another.
When it’s time to refill, the patented pump holder and hand pump from Flo ‘n Go make it possible to refuel in a snap. You can easily transfer fuel on level surfaces using minimal priming.
Thanks to the impressive dual mechanism shut-off valve at the bottom of the tank, disconnecting the tank is spill-proof which means you’ll have a transfer of fuel that is safe for both you and the environment. This tank comes with a 10ft hose and a bolt-on hanger so you can conveniently store the hose.
- Massive 14-gallon tank stores enough fuel for your needs
- Easy to move around thanks to 6-inch wheels
- No lifting, spills or overflows
- Great for commercial, industrial, and recreational applications
- Meets all DOT safety requirements
3. Eagle UI-50-FS Galvanized Steel Gasoline Can
- Brand: Eagle Abrasives
- Capacity: 5 gallon
- Dimensions: 13.5” Height ×5” Diameter
- Material: Galvanized steel
- Compliance: OSHA, NFPA, & CARB
- Approval: FM & UL
Eagle’s galvanized type-1 can meet the standards required by the Occupational Health & Safety Administration (OSHA) as well as those set by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). It’s approved for safely handling and storing gasoline and all other types of flammable liquids.
It boasts lead-free technology and is constructed using 24-gauge galvanized steel for durability. The patented comfort-grip trigger-release mechanism makes it super easy to use this gas can and takes away a lot of the frustrations that are experienced by most other gas can users since the introduction of the safety regulations in 2009.
This red steel gas can also have a spring closing lid and the neoprene gasket vents about 5 pounds per square inch (psi) of internal pressure. The pour spout and flame arrestor are made from non-sparking brass, which means you don’t have to worry about accidentally setting off fireworks while pouring from the can or filling it up.
The deep-drawn construction of this product means that there is no side or top beams. The can also have a baked-on powder-coat finish that makes it resistant to chips and scratches.
You can purchase an additional safety can spout separately to help you get fuel into those tanks with super small openings. Manufactured in the US, this is definitely the best metal gas can on our list.
- No-weld bottom seam that is 100% leak tested
- USA quality at an affordable price
- Made from highly durable material for long-lasting use
- Comes with a flame-arrestor screen
4. Justrite 7250130 5-Gallon Galvanized Steel Can
- Brand: Justrite
- Capacity: 5 gallon
- Material: Stainless steel
- Dimensions: 8.9” ×7” × 10.9”
- Compliance: OSHA & NFPA
- Approval: FM & UL
- Safe squeeze trigger handle
With this safety can, Justrite goes beyond mere protection and compliance and into the realm of added convenience. You get the Accuflow safe-squeeze trigger which allows you to fully control your pouring. More control means no spills and no overflow, which relates to money savings and safer operation.
This gas can feature a stainless steel flame-arrestor which is designed for dispelling heat in order to prevent any chance of ignition while pouring gas. It also serves to protect the can from corrosion and rust. The 3.5-inch long flame arrestor makes the nozzle placement ideal and ensures the safety of anyone operating this can.
You can store gasoline, diesel, kerosene, or any gas oil mixtures in this useful, multipurpose container. Pouring the liquid in and out of it is effortless thanks to the safe squeeze trigger control. The galvanized steel can comes with a 9-inch hose that is ideal for pouring fuel into those tiny tank openings that are notoriously hard to reach.
In addition to being easy to operate and ignition-resistant, this can is also made with lead-free materials. It’s durable, affordable, and very easy to handle. If you’re searching for the best off road gas can, it’s worth taking the time to check this one out as it could very well be what you’re looking for.
- Designed to be resistant to ignition
- Very easy to operate and handle
- All components are made using lead-free materials
- Durable construction for long-lasting use
- A self-closing lid to easily control vapors and spills
5. No-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Gas Can
- Brand: No-Spill
- Capacity: 5-gallon
- Compliance: CARB & EPA
- Dimensions: 13.8” × 11” ×3”
- 6” flex spout extension (sold separately)
- 20 mesh stainless steel screen
- 7/8” funnel spout with dust cover
This is the second offering on our list from the No-Spill brand, and there’s a good reason for that. In addition to being twice as large as the first product from this well-known brand, this gas can facilitate easier pouring and minimizes the risk of spillage or overflowing. You can use this to store the fuel for more than just your gardening equipment.
Like its smaller counterpart, this 5-gallon gas can have a thumb control which makes it so much easier to control your pouring and it also comes with a 7/8” funnel which allows you to conveniently fill tanks that have tiny openings.
The body of the can have been treated for lower infusion to reduce the chances of leakage or escaping fumes, both of which can prove extremely dangerous to your health.
At 3 gal/min, you also get faster pouring with this can be compared to most other brands which pour at a rate of about 1.5 to 2 gal/min. If you want a user-friendly, durable, and affordable gas can that will perform great for decades to come, this is one you should consider. It has a lot of amazing features which put it on our list as the best 5-gallon gas can for the money.
- Designed to be an extremely user-friendly gas can
- No leakages or fuming
- Constructed from durable, long-lasting materials
- Automatic gas flow stoppage to prevent spills
- EPA and CARB compliant
6. STKUSA 35-Gallon Portable Gas Can
- Brand: STKUSA
- Capacity: 35-gallon
- Material: Steel
- Hose Size: 8-inches
- Hand pump
- Fuel level gauge
- Pneumatic wheels
This 35-gallon gas can comes with two 10-inch rear rubber tires to give you easy mobility. It comes with two casters with a brake and an 8-ft fueling hose that has a bi-directional pump to make it easy to fill it up as well as to pour from it.
The pump siphons or dispenses fuel by altering the rotation of its crank handle. The anti-static ground strap ensures that you remain safe from unexpected sparks or ignition of fuel while using this gas can.
They can also have a 2-inch filler neck which allows for bulk filling and it also has a convenient built-in fuel level gauge. The rugged 14-gauge steel construction of this container means that you’ll be using it for decades to come.
It also has a powder-coat finish which makes the can even more durable. The pump flow volume is 9.8 gal/min which is pretty impressive.
You’ll be able to dispense fuel or remove it from fuel tanks without having to do any of the heavy liftings that you traditionally had to do. Not only that, but you’ll be able to accomplish all this without spilling a drop – something that would have been nearly impossible in the days before this type of technology.
Now, you can dispense every drop of the 35 gallons in this tank without overfilling since it pulls the excess liquid back to the caddy.
- Durable, powder-coated finish helps to resist scratches
- 35-gallon storage enough for fueling multiple vehicles
- Designed to prevent overfilling and spills
- Efficient bi-directional pump for easy dispensing or siphoning
- No need to lift when pouring
7. SureCan2.2-Gallon Gas Can
- Brand: Surecan
- Capacity: 2.2-gallon
This is one of the most innovative containers ever invented. It has patented spill-proof technology which has a rotating nozzle as well as a thumb release trigger which allows gravity to dispense liquid from the very bottom of the container.
It means that you never have to bend, lift, or tip your gas can ever again – something I’m sure many out there will appreciate, especially if you have to fill fuel through a, particularly small opening. In addition to being easy to use, the mechanism of action of this can means that your hands can stay gas-free!
The gas can also have ventilators which help to ensure that the liquid inside doesn’t come under too much pressure as it expands and evaporates. The SureCan has a super comfortable grip, which means you won’t have trouble carrying it to and from the gas station. Its design makes it conveniently easy to handle and store.
If you’re looking for the best no-spill gas can on the market right now, this is definitely one you need to check out. Made right here in the US and certified by CARB, you can be sure that when you buy this product from SureCan, you’re getting a safe, high-quality gas can that has an intelligent and extremely useful design.
- The filler cap is tethered to prevent loss of the cap
- Fill spout rotates into position easily when filling tanks
- Solid, robust construction for long-lasting use
- Comes with a thumb trigger to prevent spills and overflows
- Self-ventilating for added safety
8. 2-Pack VP 5-Gallon Utility Jugs
- Brand: VP Racing Fuels
- Capacity: 5-gallon
- Hose Length: 14” hose
- Material: High-density Polyethylene
- Pack of 2
These 5-gallon motorsport containers are among the easiest gas containers to use. They are made from high-density polyethylene, which means that they are extremely durable and they come with a three-year limited warranty so if they crack, leak, or split you’re entitled to get new ones from the manufacturer.
This is a great feature that is appreciated by a lot of users as it offers peace of mind. There’s everything to gain and nothing to lose by trying these jugs out. The makers of this product can confidently stand behind their product thanks to the 15-point quality test that is carried out on these utility jugs.
If you’re looking for a gas container that is not only easy to use and safe but also durable and affordable, too, this option could be the solution to your problem.
Although the company that creates these jugs is adamant about the quality of their products, it’s always a good idea just to test your jug with water before filling it with fuel, so you can see if there are any defects as well as familiarize yourself with how it works.
But just in case a bad one slipped through the cracks, there’s nothing to worry about. VP Racing Fuels prides itself on providing stellar customer service, and any issues you have will be solved in a swift and professional way.
- Made from high-density polyethylene for durability
- Containers go through a 15-point quality test
- Ergonomic handle for better grip
- Multi-use container can be used for storing and dispensing a variety of liquids
- Non-breakable multipurpose cap that comes with rubber gaskets
9. Arksen 30-Gallon Gas Can
- Brand: ARKSEN
- Capacity: 30-gallons
- Material: Steel
- Usage: Multipurpose
- Hose Length: 8 ft.
This 30-gallon gas container is ideal for the storage of fuel for gas-powered lawnmowers and other landscaping tools as well as automobiles, ATVs, motorcycles, and a lot more. The large capacity of the tank ensures that you have more than enough fuel for your needs, and the durable, built-in wheels make it easy to transport your fuel from one place to another.
Thanks to the hand pump with a dual mechanism for dispensing and siphoning fuel, you don’t have to do anything harder than turning the hand pump when using this gas container. The Arksen caddy comes with an 8ft hose that will easily fit the neck of even the smallest gas tank so that you can pour without any struggle.
Whether you’re at home, at a shop, or on the go, this is the ideal gas can that effortlessly combines safety, ease, and convenience – all in one affordable package.
It definitely deserves to be on our list of the best gas cans you can find these days. Its multi-purpose nature means that you can use this gas container for more than just storing gasoline. In fact, this versatile caddy has been approved to store and dispense diesel, kerosene, and even biodiesel fuels.
- Two-way rotary pump for easy siphoning and dispensing
- Multi-purpose use no matter what liquid you’re using
- The high-capacity tank can store enough fuel for many vehicles
- The heavy-duty steel handle is conveniently angled for easy leverage and control
- Visual level gauge so you can see fuel level easily at a glance
10. Pit Posse 5-Gallon Jug
- Brand: Pit Posse
- Capacity: 5-gallon
- Material: Semi-translucent plastic
- Hose Length: 15” clear PVC hose
This utility 5-gallon jug can help you service your race car or motorsport bike. It comes with a range of incredible features which put it head and shoulders above the rest. For starters, it has two handles which makes it a lot easier to use the jug and it also has an easy pour spout and a hose for more accurate pouring.
These are just a few of the main features, but this translucent jug boasts even more functions than that. It also has rubber stops on the caps and comes with a screw-on vent which helps to adjust the pouring speed.
This gives you a lot more control and helps to prevent spillage and overflows. This jug is also translucent, which makes fluid measurement a whole lot easier.
The container also has inverted ribs which help to maintain its shape even after tons of use. Now you never have to use standard plastic cans and you’ll be able to eliminate those annoying, messy, costly spills. No more slow pouring or poorly sealed jugs. Once you get the Pit Posse 5-gallon jug, all those things will be in the distant past.
As an added bonus, you even get a one-year warranty for your peace of mind with your purchase of this jug, which is considered by many to be the best plastic gas can you’ll find out there.
- Easy to use spouts that work with every filler
- Lids are O-ring sealed at the top
- The two-handle design allows you to pick the jug up and pour with both hands
- Translucent jug for easy fuel measuring
- Comes with hose included and a one-year warranty
11. REDA Innovations Fuel Can RGC1001
- Brand: REDA
- Capacity: 1-gallon
- Compliance: CARB & EPA
- Material: 6-ply HDPE NANO Plastic
There isn’t much to say about this REDA gas can except that it’s the perfect fuel container to ensure that you never again run out of gas! The custom-fit design is made to fit a variety of saddlebags and gives you an extra gallon of gas for those long trips.
Made from 6-ply HDPE NANO material, this plastic can creates a vapor-proof barrier to ensure that no fumes escape.
- CARB and EPA-certified
- Spout conveniently stores internally
- Sleek design for easy storage in most H-D-style saddlebags
- Prevents vapors from escaping
- High-quality durable construction
12. Midwest 5600-4PK Gas Can
- Brand: Midwest Can
- Capacity: 5-gallon
- Pack of 4
- Compliance: CARB & EPA
- Two handles
This Midwest can is made using durable HDPE material and it eliminates hydrocarbon emissions. With a capacity to hold 5 gallons, this gas can is a great product to add to your equipment whenever you’re taking a long trip.
The can comes with two handles for easy lifting and more control when pouring. In addition to that, it has a wider base which makes it more stable and less prone to tipping over during use.
- Drastically reduces hydrocarbon emissions
- Constructed using durable HDPE
- Meets and exceeds EPA and CARB safety requirements
- Can be used for a variety of oil and gas mixes
- Comes with two handles for more controlled pouring
13. Worthington 281149 1-Gallon Propane Cylinder
- Brand: Worthington
- Capacity: 1-gallon
- Material: Steel Propane Cylinder
- Compliance: DOT & TC
This propane cylinder from Worthington will come in handy whether you’re grilling, heating, or if you need power. It’s made according to the specifications from DOT and TC which means it’s safe for use. The high-quality steel or aluminum make of these cylinders makes them not only sturdy and durable but extremely lightweight, too.
- Engineered for lightweight strength
- Damage resistant steel construction
- Hand-holds in the collar for easy lifting
- Durabond powder-coating to resist rust
- Meets all safety specifications in the US and Canada
Things to Consider When Buying a Gas Can
All gas cans aren’t made the same. Some are more durable and strong while others are less costly. There are a lot of things you need to consider before you buy your gas can. So, instead of just picking the first one that you see, make sure that you consider all the factors below before making your choice so that you end up with the best gas can for your needs.
Purpose of Buying Gas Can
What are you going to be using the gas can for? Will it require constant moving around? If so, you may need to consider a low-profile gas can that will be easy to transport and store. Or maybe you’re going to store it in one place, such as your home, boat, or RV, in which case you can go for simpler less expensive options.
How frequently are you going to be using the gas can? If you’re expecting to use it a lot, then don’t go for the cans at the cheap end of the price spectrum, but rather stick with the more durable, high-quality options available on the market.
How much fuel do you need to store? That’s a very important factor to consider so that you can choose the right size gas can to fulfill your needs. Having a gas can that’s too small for your needs may end up being just as bad for you as not having one at all. But before you pick the biggest can you can find, make sure that you’re going to be able to haul it when it’s filled!
Type of Material
Gas cans are made from either metal or plastic. There are obviously differences between the two, such as for instance, the fact that plastic is more lightweight while metal cans are more durable. But whichever one you choose to go with, make sure that it’s approved by D.O.T and OSHA to ensure that it’s considered legal.
This is obviously something to consider before choosing your gas can, but don’t let it be the only consideration otherwise, you risk buying a cheap gas can that won’t function well or for long.
The good news is that we’ve rounded up over a dozen of the most affordable high-quality gas cans you can find today so you don’t have to look very far to find one that will fit your budget.
Types of Fuel Cans
As previously mentioned, there are two types of gas cans: Plastic and Metal cans. Just keep in mind that even though the material falls into just two categories, the quality of material from the various gas can manufacturers differs wildly.
Below, we’re going to take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of both plastic and metal gas cans so that you can make an informed choice and decide for yourself which is the best gas can for your needs.
- Plastic Gas Cans
Getting plastic gas can mean that you get to enjoy a number of benefits, the first one being that it’s available at a significantly lower price than its metal counterparts. Being the cheaper material, it makes sense that gas cans made from plastic would be less expensive. That’s why plastic gas cans are the go-to for those who are on a tight budget.
Despite its lower price, the type of plastic used for making gas cans is also very durable and long-lasting. With the right care, your plastic gas can should last you a very long time. In addition to that, plastic is also very lightweight, which is a great feature, considering the fact that you’ll be filling it with heavy liquid so you don’t need any extra weight to carry.
- Metal Gas Cans
If you don’t like using things that are not biodegradable or recyclable, then metal gas cans are the way to go. They also come with a lot of benefits including their highly durable nature which means that they can withstand a lot of the bumps and knocks that they will inevitably endure on the road without getting damaged.
However, it’s important to note that metal cans are heavier and more expensive than plastic ones. If you want a gas can that is the most durable and long-lasting, then go for metal.
Why You Should Use a Fuel Container?
There are obviously a lot of reasons why you should use a fuel container. The first and most important reason is that it can save you from the hassle of being stranded on the road in case you forget to fill up your tank before a long trip.
Having said that, if you’re using your gas can to store the fuel for the lawnmower, it can save you from having to make a trip to the garage each time you need to mow the lawn.
Also, you can’t just store fuel in any old container. It needs to be one that will keep the fuel safely stored inside to prevent any accidental spills. You know fuel is extremely flammable, and a gas can is specifically designed to prevent any unplanned fireworks that may result from spills and leaks in unfortunate places.
Yet another reason to use fuel containers is that most of them are designed for easy storage and handling. If you’re going to have to cart gallons of this dangerous liquid, you want to do it in the safest and most efficient way possible.
Plastic or Metal Gas Can: Which is Better?
One isn’t necessarily better than the other. It all simply depends on your needs and requirements. Now that you know all the pros and cons associated with each type of material, you can make your choice based on what your needs are.
For instance, is it important to have something lightweight, or would you rather have a gas can that can take a licking and keep on ticking? Weight the various benefits of each type and then make your decision accordingly.
Why Your Gas Can Sucks and How to Fix It
If you’ve purchased a gas can before, you may have arrived at the conclusion that even the best gas can on the market today sucks. It seems this is a problem mainly associated with US manufacturers who have to adhere to strict rules and guidelines from various safety councils and boards. This results in gas cans that suck.
Between the spills and the escaping fumes, you’d be forgiven for thinking that you’re better off storing your fuel in any other container than a gas container! The good news is that it’s easy to solve this annoying gas can issue.
The first step is to take the cap off your gas can and then drill a half-inch hole just above the opening. Insert a half-inch tubeless tire valve, with the actual valve taken out so that you have an open system all the way through.
Pull it through so that it’s snug inside the drilled hole and this will take care of your pressure problem that causes all those spills when trying to pour gas from the can.
How to Use a Gas Can Properly
There are specific guidelines laid down by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) when it comes to the safe use of gas cans in order to keep the risk of fire to a minimum. First, when filling a portable container, place it on the ground.
There’s a possibility of static electricity causing a fire to erupt during the process of filling, which is why you shouldn’t fill it while it’s still in your car or pickup truck bed – particularly if you have a bed liner in the truck. Bedliners act as insulators and allow lots of static electricity to build upon your gas can while it’s being filled.
Here are other tips to help you ensure the safe and proper use of your gas can:
- Only use gas cans approved by DOT or OSHA.
- Don’t fill containers on any other surface than the ground.
- Make sure that the fill nozzle is in contact with the can’s inside before operating the nozzle.
- Always maintain contact until you’re done filling your gas can.
- Never smoke while pumping gas.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Gas Can
Q-1: Is it safe to drive with gasoline in my trunk?
- If you’re concerned about the safety of driving around with a gas can in your vehicle, don’t worry. It’s absolutely safe, provided you used the approved type of gas can. Also, it depends on what condition your gas can be in. For instance, if it’s an old can that you’ve been using (and abusing) for years, then your safety may be in question.
- Your gas can be made of robust, high-quality metal or plastic and it should not be filled to capacity to allow room for the fuel to expand and contract. Also, the gas can cap should be tightly secured to prevent fumes from escaping.
Q-2: How Long Can I Store Gasoline For?
- You can keep gas in your container for a few months or even longer. But, it’s important to note that if you’re going to keep gas for longer periods, then make sure that you use some method of preserving your fuel to prevent it from going bad.
- If you’re going to store your gas for more than two years, then you’ll need to make use of some type of fuel stabilizer. But if you want to avoid the uncertainty altogether, make sure you renew your gas supplies every three to six months.
Q-3: Where is the safest place to keep the gas can?
- For the car, the best place to store your fuel during transportation is outside your car, such as on the roof, in the trunk, or in the bed of a truck. For the home, store it at a high point in your garage to ensure that it stays cool and dry – plus, this keeps it out of reach of pets and kits.
Q-4: How often should I clean my gas can?
- The frequency with which you need to clean your gas can depend a lot on how long you store the gas. If you typically use the same type of gas and only store it for short durations ranging from just a week or so to a month, then you can clean your container about once every two months.
- However, if you use different kinds of gas, or if you store your fuel for longer, then you might want to clean your can before every refill.
Q-5: Can gas cans really explode?
- Yes, all types of gas cans can explode. It doesn’t matter whether you have a metal gas can or a plastic one. If you don’t use it properly – for instance, if you store the can near a heat source – an electric spark may cause it to explode. There have been a lot of injuries and deaths reported due to exploding gas cans so make sure that you take all the necessary precautions when using one.
As you can see, there are a lot of different options available for you to choose from. We’ve made your job easier by researching and reviewing all the best cans on the market so you don’t have to. Just keep in mind that when it comes to picking the best gas can to cater to your needs, it’s vital that you consider all the factors listed in our handy buying guide before making your choice from our list of the top gas cans on the market today.